- This event has passed.
Rebooting with Research: Viral detection and mitigation (panel 5 of 6)
June 18, 2020Free
COVID-19 has shaken the world, challenging societies and altering life as we know it. But from this crisis, opportunities have emerged calling us to action as we prepare to reboot from the COVID-19 lockdown.
In this series of six free, weekly, online panels, experts from the University of Waterloo and representatives from some of Canada’s leading companies will share their research, real-world expertise, and experience to help identify the risks and plot the future of adapting to this new normal. Learn how you can apply their research findings to the needs of your enterprise and your own aspirations. Together, let’s create the future.
Registration is required for each of the 6 panels
A Webex link will be provided before the talk. Each webinar will feature a 60-minute, moderated panel, with 5 or 6 participants followed by an optional 30-minute Q&A (questions can be submitted through the web conference chat).
The Post-COVID-19 Reboot series is presented by University of Waterloo Gateway for Enterprises to Discover Innovation (GEDI).
Panel #5 Rebooting with Research: Viral detection and mitigation
This research-focused webinar looks at recently developed biotechnology to address COVID-19 and other health challenges. This includes vaccine development, improving screening with artificial intelligence (AI) as applied to imaging, using nanoscience to build better biosensors and imagers, and the world-wide COVID-19 collaborations in which the University is participating.
Moderator: Sushanta Mitra – Executive Director, Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology (WIN); Professor, Mechanical & Mechatronics Engineering
Expert panelists include:
- Karim Karim – Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering; Executive Director, Centre for Bioengineering and Biotechnology (CBB)
- Shirley Tang – Professor, Chemistry; Associate Dean of Science, Research
- Roderick Slavcev – Associate Professor, School of Pharmacy and Department of Chemistry; Waterloo Centre for Microbial Research
- Ryan Denomme – Founder and CEO, Nicoya Lifesciences
- Alex Wong – Co-founder, Chief Scientist, DarwinAI; Associate Professor, Systems Design Engineering; Canada Research Chair in AI and Medical Imaging
What’s next in our series? Visit our event page here to see past events and to register for additional panel sessions:
Rebooting with Research series:
- June 25 | Rebooting with research: Our virtual future (panel 6 of 6)
The recorded sessions will be posted to the University of Waterloo YouTube channel as available, check back soon!
If you have any questions, please contact GEDI at GEDI.email@example.com.